Milford, 7km south of Carlow Town is a most pleasant stop on the river and was once the centre of a thriving milling industry. The mill at Milford was established in the 1790s and is one of the most extensive and celebrated in Ireland. Electricity was generated from here in 1891, providing Carlow with the distinction of being the first inland town in Ireland and Britain to receive electric power. This idyllic setting features a rich woodland area and a diverse array of plants, animals and birdlife including herons, kingfishers and swallow. Enjoy these relaxing surroundings from the picnic table located immediately beside the River Barrow.