Daily summer 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. and winter 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
First built in 1204 by William Marshall, Duiske Abbey is the largest and perhaps the finest of the thirty-four medieval Cistercian monasteries in Ireland. The abbey is the parish church of Graiguenamanagh Town and beautifully dominates the town centre.
Its name originates from the stream that flows nearby and the abbey was populated by monks from Stanley in Wiltshire, England at the time of its construction. The church was restored in 1974 – 1980 and consists of a nave and chancel with an aisle on each side. There is an excellent model of the original monastic settlement, inside the church door, which would have spread over some five acres. In the graveyard to the south of the chancel are two small granite high crosses and a large, imposing effigy of a Norman knight in the abbey interior. The adjacent Abbey Centre also houses a range of exhibits, including several examples of contemporary Christian art.
To truly imagine what the church must have been like when the monks lived here, take a look at the chancel, the crossing and the east windows. The church originally had aisles extending along the full length of the nave on the south and the north.