Tinnahinch & Graiguenamanagh
Tinnahinch & Graiguenamanagh are very popular boating centres on the River Barrow whose character reflects a bygone time when the area was an important focal point for commercial traffic on the river. Both towns are connected by a beautiful bridge, constructed in 1767 when a canal system was being built to improve navigation.
One of Ireland’s finest Cistercian monasteries was founded in 1204 by Norman monks from Stanley Abbey in Wiltshire at the invitation of William de Marshall. the abbey is named from the Dubh-Uisce or “black water” stream from nearby Brandon Hill that joins the river Barrow.
Tinnahinch Castle was built around 1615 by James Butler who later lost his lands because of his involvement in the Confederate War of 1641. It was built to control a crossing where a wooden bridge once spanned the Barrow. The castle was burnt around the year 1700 and has lain that way ever since.
Canoeing, scenic riverside walk from Tinnahinch to St. Mullins – 6km., woodland walk at Silaire Woods, Graiguenamanagh Town of Books Festival in September.