A: Castle Hill
Daily, daylight hours
Carlow Castle, now a ruin stands on the eastern bank of the River Barrow. It is thought to have been built by William Marshall, Earl of Pembroke and Lord of Leinster between 1207 and 1213. At the time Carlow’s growing defensive importance demanded a strong fortress of the Pale.
Originally the castle was a rectangular block, containing the castle’s principal rooms protected by cylindrical towers at its corners. Today, two battered towers and part of an intervening wall are all that remain after Dr. Middleton a local physician tried to improve the castle as an asylum in 1814. In an effort to demolish the interior he placed explosive charges at its base and demolished all but the west wall and towers.
The 800th anniversary of the construction of Carlow Castle is commemorated in 2013 with a dedicated Carlow 800 festival featuring a history conference, an International Taste of Carlow Food and Craft Fair and Culinary Challenge, musical performances and walking tours. The event takes place from August 22nd – 25th. Visit www.carlowtourism.com