The Barrow. Our River Your Journey

Monasterevin

Monasterevin is a small town, with Georgian houses, on a flat expanse of country, and occupies a right angle bend on the river Barrow, as it changes direction from east to south. Located in County Kildare, which is situated on the west side of the Wicklow Mountian Range in Ireland, on the N7 road from Dublin to Cork, Monasterevin has a population of about 2,300 people.

The land which merges from pastoral to bog gets its name from St. Eimhin’s (Evin) Monastery, which was built in the 6th century. This gave place in the 12th century to a more prestentious house dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary by Dermot O Dempsey, Prince of Offaly, whose mitred abbot sat as a baron in the Irish Parliament. This house disappeared and Moore Abbey was built in 1607, which was modernised in 1846, and was the seat of the Earls of Drogheda from the 18th century onwards. Count John McCormick the famous Irish tenor, rented the house for 9 years in 1936. The Abbey is now a convent, belonging to the Sisters of Charity.

A Celtic Cross in the square of the town is in memory of Father Prendergast, who was hanged here for the part he played in the 1798 Rising.

An aqueduct built in 1826 carries the Grand Canal over the River Barrow. Monasterevin is noted for its unusually high number of bridges

Monasterevin is 39 miles from Dublin, 12 miles from Athy and 13 miles from Port Laoise. Items of interest are Moore Abbey and Monasterevin House. Other features are its angling, the Monastervin Canal festival, and its sporting activities which include badminton, golf, boating, gymnastics and shooting. The Hazel Hotel is well know as a stopping place on the way to Cork on the N7 road. An hour’s drive from Dublin, it offers a restful place to have a beverage. Also nearby is the Curragh Race Course.