The Barrow. Our River Your Journey

Select a Category >>
Arlington House

Portarlington

Lea Castle Lea Castle, located on the Dublin road just outside of Portarlington. It was built circa 1260 by William de Vesey and was protected to the north by the …

Monasterevin Lifting Bridge

Monasterevin

St. Evin Monasterevin takes its name from St. Evin who became abbot of the monastery here in the 6th¬†century. St. Evin brought a number of monks with him from his …

Athy heritage centre

Athy

The name Athy comes from the 2nd century, when the Chieftain Ae the son of Deargabhail, was killed in a battle between the men of Munster and the men of …

Carlow Castle

Carlow Town

Carlow Castle As a strategic river crossing, the town was the scene of a number of important battles and the Anglo Normans signalled its importance by building the great Carlow …

milford

Milford & Clogrennan

Milford Mill Milford is a most pleasant stop on the River Barrow which was once the centre of a thriving milling industry. The area is closely associated with the Alexanders, …

Leighlinbridge

Leighlinbridge

  The Bridge. The focal point of Leighlinbridge is its Valerian bearded bridge. It was built by the Cannon of Kildare Cathedral, Maurice Jakis in 1320.¬† The bridge at Leighlinbridge …

Bagenalstown_

Bagenalstown

      Dunleckney Manor Dunleckney Manor, on the outskirts of the town was the seat of the Bagenals for over 300 years. Parts of the original house, dating from …

goresbridge

Goresbridge

Goresbridge Goresbridgewas named after the Gore family who lived in Barrowmount House, they were local landlords who came from Lecum in Hertfordshire after receiving grants of confiscated land. This attractive …

Borris House

Borris

Borris House The ancestral home of the MacMurrough Kavanaghs, Kings of Leinster, is one of the few Irish estates that can trace its history back to the Royal families of …

rsz_tinnahinch_castle_&_weir

Tinnahinch & Graiguenamanagh

  Tinnahinch/Graiguenamanagh are very popular boating centres on the River Barrow whose character reflects a bygone time when the area was an important focal point for commercial traffic on the …